At HSMAI's Hotel Management Company (HMC) Sales & Marketing Executive Roundtable in Savannah earlier this week, we asked our participants to name a major trend that has surprised them in the past year. Here are some of the things they identified:
- How much we still don’t know about analytics — are we really drilling down to the ADR level and making decisions based on that?
- Erosion in the government market, which has necessitated identifying other segments to make up for that loss of business.
- We’re creating marketing operations/marketing technology roles, which try to merge tech and operations — with a goal of delivering technology solutions to the customer.
- The pace of acquisitions has been tremendous, and we don’t see that trend slowing down, which is creating talent churn and the need to manage owner/investor expectations.
- The best flexible rates and loyalty rates that were rolled out this year —and how to maintain rate parity with these different promotions but also how to secure group business while ensuring groups get a low rate.
- It’s all about profit — and how that affects sales and the perception of sales, which loops into our bonus plan.
- Unachievable budgets in some areas — some of it driven by losses in government business.
- Changing clientele — the new generation is getting wealthier and looking for more experiences and blending business and leisure travel. How do we market to them digitally?
The session was sponsored by Booking.com, gCommerce, and Tambourine. Management companies represented at the Roundtable included Sage Hospitality Resources, Charlestowne Hotels, Hospitality Ventures Management Group, Sound Hospitality, Dow Hotel Company, Marcus Hotels & Resorts, PM Hotel Group, North Central Management, Inc., and The Kessler Collection. HSMAI brings together Chief Marketing Officers, Chief Digital Marketing Officers, Chief Sales Officers, Chief Revenue Officers, and Hotel Management Company Sales & Marketing Executives through the year.