HSMAI’s Resort Best Practices Initiative is the most unique data sharing market research cooperative in the resort industry. It provides subscribers resort-specific benchmarks as well as up-to-date information on current best practices and future trends, giving participating resorts invaluable insights.
Facilitated by Cindy Estis Green, CEO of Kalibri Labs, the initiative tracks benchmarks including: revenue earned per $1 of marketing spend; percentage of room revenue by channel; revenue earned per sales/marketing staffer employed; and, ROI for online marketing programs. At the same time, in-depth, proprietary studies examine important issues of the day such as:
- Voice of the Customer: Meeting Planners, Travel Agents and Leisure Guests Speak Out
- 70 Effective Ways to Generate Revenue in a Recession
- Leveraging Your Destination to Extend Your Marketing Budget
- Generating Ancillary Revenue: Creative Techniques for Expanding Resort Revenue Streams
How It Works
Participating resorts share confidential information on each subject being studied; proprietary statistics are always aggregated and therefore not identified by resort.
A resort's annual subscription includes:
- Monthly “Issues Forums” – our subscribers-only conference calls with both updates on the latest issues impacting resorts and opportunities for you to discuss the issues/challenges on which you would like peer feedback.
- Quarterly Webinars – addressing the most pressing issues of the day through a unique lens customized for resort marketing leaders. Together with the monthly conference calls, these webinars will help you stay up to date on what’s next, what’s new, and what’s different in the world of marketing as it relates specifically to resorts. Multiple team members from your resort may participate in both issues forum calls and webinars. You can have multiple people logging in separately, together on speakerphone, etc. Do what works for your team.
- Annual Face-to-Face Roundtable Meeting – held in New York City each year on the day of HSMAI’s Adrian Awards Gala (in 2014, it will be February 24), each subscriber may have up to two representatives attend for no additional cost. This meeting is your opportunity to meet with your peers to discuss our current studies and other topics that are pertinent to resort executives, to connect with your colleagues, and engage in remarkable dialogue about important trends and best practices.
- Two Exclusive Research Reports – of these annual published reports, one will focus on key marketing metrics and benchmarks, and one will offer an in-depth examination of the Voice of the Resort Customer from a unique perspective (the leisure guest or the meeting planner for instance). Marketing metrics benchmarked include:
- Room Revenue as % Resort Revenue
- Sales & Marketing Budget as % Total Resort Revenue
- Sales & Marketing Budget as % Room Revenue
- Resort Channel Mix
- Brand.com Contribution
- Voice Contribution
- Direct Contribution
- GDS Contribution
- OTA Contribution
- Sales/Marketing Efficiency - Room Revenue per $1 Spend
- Sales/Marketing Efficiency - Total Resort Revenue per $1 Spend
- Online % of Total Marketing Budget
- Online Efficiency: Room Revenue per $1 Online Spend
- Online Efficiency: Total Revenue per $1 Online Spend
- Online Statistics (ROI on PPC, Unique web visits, Unique mobile visits)
- Social media stats (Facebook likes, active videos on YouTube, etc.)
- Resort Revenue per FTE S&M (including sales, marketing, support and rev mgt)
- Room Revenue per FTE in S&M (including sales, marketing, support, rev mgt)
Subscribing resorts include:
- Atlantis, Paradise Island
- The Breakers
- Canyon Ranch
- Colonial Williamsburg Hotels
- El Cid Resorts
- Enchantment Resort & Mii amo Spa
- The Fairmont Southhampton
- Grand Hotel
- Kiawah Island Golf Resort
- Kingsmill Resort
- La Costa Resort & Spa
- Madden's on Gull Lake
- Mohonk Mountain House
- Omni Bedford Springs Resort & Spa
- The Otesaga Resort Hotel
- PGA National Resort & Spa
- Sanctuary Camelback Mountain Resort & Spa
- Salamander Hotels & Resorts
- Sandestin Golf & Beach Resort
- Terrenea Resort
- Trapp Family Lodge
- Turning Stone Resort & Casino
- Wild Dunes Resort
- The Woodstock Inn & Resort
Participation in HSMAI's Resort Best Practices Initiative is surprisingly inexpensive at $2700 per year. Subscribing resorts have often found it to be indispensible to their marketing operations and a good value as well. Download the registration form (PDF) to get started.
For More Information
- For inquiries and membership information, please contact Juli Jones, Vice President, at email@example.com or 703-506-3276.
- For partnership opportunities in conjunction with the Resort Best Practices Initiative, please contact Nora Cloherty at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that partners cannot have access to the full studies, but may attend face-to-face events connected to the initiative.