At HSMAI’s Hotel Management Company Sales & Marketing Executive Roundtable in Denver on May 17, participants were asked to share the one thing that’s keeping them up at night. Here are 10 of the emerging trends, evolving issues, and other developments that they identified:
- Complying with the European Union’s new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) while still be able to pursue effective sales strategies.
- Dealing with new initiatives that brands are enforcing.
- After an acquisition, reimagining the existing brand and integrating the existing corporate team.
- Acquiring and retaining talent — including having to lower recruiting standards, which in turn is increasing training requirements.
- Managing a summer lull in group business, which is especially affecting F&B.
- Motivating salespeople to be business generators — both identifying new business and replacing lost business.
- Keeping up with data — there is too much of it, from too many sources.
- Controlling the costs of customer acquisition.
- Being strategic — i.e., getting above the day-to-day fray to figure out the one or two things that are going to make a difference.
- Tracking people with travel visas to the United States — including determining their city of origin, buying habits, etc
The session was sponsored by Knowland, OTA Insight, and TravelClick. Hotel companies represented at the Roundtable included Atlific Hotels & Resorts; Coakley & Williams Hotel Management; CSM Lodging; The Dow Hotel Company; Hospitality Ventures Management Group; HVS Hotel Management Company; Kessler Collection; KSL Resorts; Pineapple Hospitality Company; Prism Hotels & Resorts; Real Hospitality Group; Regency Hotel Management; Sage Hospitality Resources; Sound Hospitality; Spire Hospitality; and Windsor Capital Group, Inc. HSMAI brings together Chief Marketing Officers, Chief Digital Marketing Officers, Chief Sales Officers, Chief Revenue Officers, and Hotel Management Company Sales & Marketing Executives through the year.